9.14.2010


I have been in nursing school for almost two semesters now and I still don't feel like I love it. I see all these med students sitting around conversing about seemingly important topics, I get really regretful and jealous. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate nursing school, I just don't know if I love the nursing role. I have been working with extremely sick patients with very severe and chronic illnesses. From what I have observed, the role of the nurses caring for these patients is to make them feel "comfortable", there has got to be more. I am positive there is more, but I think I am missing what it is. I hope future Jenica will discover how she fits into this role.

Maybe I will discover that the hospital setting and extremely sick people is not where I want to be, I think I have already discovered it. I hope that I will find my niche, something that I can exercise independence and autonomy, and even where I can be the patients primary care provider. I don't know if this place exists, maybe in the community setting?

2 comments:

Camille said...

I know the feeling... it never seems good enough. You should look into some more things- still in nursing, but broaden your horizons. Check out work in third world countries, look into teaching, look at different free clinics that are around Utah (refugee clinics). You can do soooo many things with nursing, you definitely won't see all of the things you can do in a short 16 month program. You should come work on some projects with me :)

Denique said...

:( Maybe you should look into something else....I don't know what to tell you about this rough spto!! Love you though and know you'll figure it out!